Pages

December 17, 2018

Sick Weekend + 12 Week Pregnancy Recap


It was a rough weekend in the Chatwinners household, with both of us coming down with the flu. But even though it wasn't ideal, if you're going to be home vomiting and with a fever, why not do it with your spouse/bestie, amiright? 😂 Snuggling, soup, Netflix, breaking in our new couch and watching Elf  by the light of our Christmas tree (which we finally decorated this week): what more could you want from a sick weekend?

At first, I thought I was just having more awful pregnancy symptoms. I haven't had any pregnancy-related vomiting, but I have been constantly nauseated (and I mean CONSTANTLY. I keep snacks in my nightstand for my two nightly trips to the bathroom. If I'm awake, I'm probably nauseated, so I have to eat something before going back to sleep.) for most of this first trimester. My nausea has gotten so bad, I am now taking two different prescriptions to fight it and am also taking another medicine for indigestion. So fun!

Anyway, I just assumed my symptoms were pregnancy-related. But then at 5am on Friday morning, Stephen threw up. A lot. (TMI. Sorry.) And then I threw up. That's when I realized it might be more than just pregnancy symptoms... We had also both had fevers since Thursday, which should've probably been my first clue that we were sick.

But, like, I said, we made the best of it and took care of each other as best as we could. We are feeling MUCH better and are both back at work today. We even felt well enough to go out for a Sunday walk yesterday. (Speaking of Sunday, we were supposed to both speak at church yesterday. We had to cancel, and I still feel so badly about it. But I'm sure they'll reschedule us at some point, right?

Sunday walk on the Jordan River Parkway


Amid all the craziness, we celebrated hitting our 12-week pregnancy milestone. YAY! My pregnancy symptoms haven't eased up yet, but I know the risk of miscarriage is now significantly decreased. We will get to see our little Chatbaby again this week at our next appointment, and we are just so excited to be this far! I had started writing down my pregnancy symptoms into my journal after we first found out we were expecting, buuuut I actually haven't even unpacked it yet (I think it's in a box in one of the other bedrooms?), so I've been doing a poor job of documenting my pregnancy. I figured I'd write out a quick recap here, but I'll try to actually write things down henceforth.

SYMPTOMS & MILESTONES SO FAR:
  • Leg pain. This was SO WEIRD and one of the first issues I had! I had such severe leg pain, it felt like I had bruises ALL over. It started out with my thighs when I was 4 weeks pregnant, but by the end of that week, it had spread from knee to butt, where it was incredibly painful to even pull my tights on in the morning before work. It got better on its own, but I still have tender thighs.
  • Tender (and larger) breasts. So fun... I had to buy new sports bras at about 6 weeks...
  • General bloating. Me at six weeks: am I showing yet? Nope. Just bloated.
  • Nausea. ALL. the. time. I eat every few hours to keep it at bay and have tried just about every remedy you can think of except Seabands and acupuncture. But to no avail. Hence the prescriptions now. I tried Unisom + Vitamin B6 for a couple of weeks, but it's still been really bad. A few times, it's been so bad that even making turns while driving makes me feel super sick.
  • Peeing twice a night. or more. Ha!
  • EXHAUSTION! This was the first symptom. Before I had even taken a pregnancy test, I felt constantly EXHAUSTED. I assumed it was because we were working so hard on our house, which I'm sure made it worse, but nope. I'm just constantly exhausted and have had to shut my office door to put my head down a time or two.
  • Migraine. This one was just this weekend. I've only had one migraine EVER, and it was 3.5 years ago. It took me two days to figure out that's what this was this time around.
  • Indigestion. TMI again. Ha. Taking a prescription for it now, so hopefully that helps!
  • Constipation. TMI, TMI, TMI.
  • Lower back pain. Actually, pain everywhere. We bought a new bed that we LOVE right when we moved in to our new house. It's a firm mattress, and it is killing me right now! I had to go out and buy a twin-sized memory foam topper for my half of the bed this week... My SIL gave me the idea. Everything hurts all the time. It's made it super hard to try to exercise. The other night, I got nauseated just from walking on the treadmill for 30 min. My foam roller and yellow peanut are also helping a lot!
  • Feeling more easily emotional. It's even more fun when your husband laughs at you for crying at a Facebook video.
  • Food aversions: vegetables. I normally LOVE produce! But this kid has his/her daddy's appetite. Lol. More evidence: I've had soda and pizza cravings, which are two of Stephen's main food groups.
  • Food cravings: orange juice, Lipton chicken noodle soup, Pho, carbs, carbs, carbs. CARBS are my life right now!
  • Another fun milestone from December 6 (11 weeks): I officially can't button up my button-ups over my belly! I really thought the bust would be the first thing to go, but nope! It's the belly.
I'll leave the list at that. Pregnancy is SO weird, but it is also so exciting to be growing a little Chatbaby. 28 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment!