Pages

April 06, 2012

General Conference



Image courtesy of here

This past Saturday and Sunday was my church's semi-annual General Conference. Every spring and fall, we have the opportunity to hear directly from our church leaders, the Prophet, Apostles, and other General Authorities and church officers to receive spiritual and temporal guidance from our Heavenly Father. I believe and know with all my heart that God speaks to us today through His Prophet and Apostles, and I look forward to every conference, because I know I will receive guidance that is meant just for me, at this point in my life, in the year 2012. While I cherish and yearn for the guidance I receive through studying the scriptures, I am grateful that God is mindful that we also need continuing revelation and guidance for our lives.

I've always admired folks who study and re-read General Conference talks during the six months until the next Conference. I've always meant to do that, but... I haven't. Well, friends, I've decided this year is going to be different. I am publicly committing to study ONE Conference talk a week between now and the next conference in October. I knew this goal was meant to be when I counted the # of conference talks, and it was the same number as the # of weeks in half a year (ie- 26). Yes, my decision-making process is very scientific.

I'll blog about what I learn from each talk every week, mostly A- as a way to hold myself accountable and actually make sure I DO this, and B- because I learn more when I write out my thoughts, and I type faster than I write.

And for my two friends who read this (I hope this applies to at least one of you?), do you do anything special to make General Conference a part of your daily/weekly/monthly life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment!