Pages

May 21, 2015

Reading Now: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

OK, this is not an Austin, Part 2 post (but don't worry; I haven't forgotten!). It is a post about the book I'm reading right now.

KonMari method
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

I've heard a lot about this book, and since I'm in the process of organizing my apartment right now, I figured it was a perfect time to read it. I'm about half-way done, and I've already started KonMari-ing my stuff! (The KonMari method is the name of the method/lifestyle Marie Kondo teaches in this book.) The basic premise is to only keep things that "spark joy," and it's been kind of fun to look at my belongings and find an emotional connection with them. For the items you decide not to keep, you're supposed to thank each of them for serving you well, and then you're free to send them on their way, either to be donated or chucked. I know it sounds super dorky, but I like it! And "thanking" each item kind of makes it easier to part ways. It's also nice that the only rule for deciding what to keep is that it "sparks joy." I've always wanted a closet where I absolutely LOVE and feel confident wearing every single piece, and I'm sure having my entire home feel this way would be amazing! Plus, as an INFJ, I can appreciate making decisions emotionally, so maybe that's why this is working well for me. :)

Though, OK, sometimes the practical side of me struggles. For example, on Monday, I KonMari'd my way through my dresses/work tops, and there was one particular dress... I left it in my closet, because it's cute, it's in good condition, it has pockets, it fits me well... But it didn't spark joy. Even still, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, because I actually need (OK, want) more work dresses. I went through a pencil skirts + blouses phase a few years ago, but right now, I'm really into dresses. You put on ONE thing, and you're done! No need to mix and match and coordinate tops and bottoms. One and done! Genius! 

Back to the dress... I left it in my closet, but it's been nagging me all week. I think at some point during the work day yesterday, I thought to myself, "That green dress doesn't spark joy." So when I got home last night, I put it in my donation pile.

I only wish I'd read this book sooner, because I've already filled up TWO big Ikea tote bags (clothing swap, anyone?), and I'm not even done organizing my clothes yet! (I thought I had PURGED my belongings before I left DC, but if I had Kon-Mari'd then, maybe I would've had more room in the UHaul for some of the furniture I left behind... :( sniff...) Who knows how much I'll get rid of by the time I finish the rest of my house! 

Wish me luck with the rest of the book/KonMari-ing! Here's hoping I don't end up with only three things to wear all summer! 😳

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment!