Pages

May 05, 2012

RIP, MCA

Adam Yauch (aka MCA of the Beastie Boys) died yesterday of cancer. In his memory, I'd like to share this video of one of my favorite Beastie Boys songs (though my all-time favorite Beastie Boys song is "An Open Letter to NYC"):


Also this one (My friends and I used to dance to this song in high school. We didn't really know what a brass monkey was.):

And finally, this awesome poem published in WaPo yesterday (please see this link for the full article and credit):


A Tribute to Adam Yauch, Composed Entirely of Beastie Boys Lyrics
Born and bred Brooklyn — U.S.A.
They call me Adam Yauch but I'm M.C.A.
Like a lemon to a lime, a lime to a lemon
I sip the def ale with all the fly women (1)
I'm not James at 15 or Chachi in charge
I'm Adam and I'm adamant about living large (2)
I've got more rhymes than I've got gray hairs
And that's a lot because I've got my share (3)
Now what do we have here, an outlaw and his beer
I run this land, you understand, I make myself clear. (4)
M.C. for what I am and do
the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true
so as pray and hope and the message is sent
and I am living in the dreams that I have dreamt (5)
I wish for peace between the races
Someday we shall all be one (6)
That's right y'all
Don't get uptight y'all (7)
I'm out and I'm gone
I tell you now I keep it on and on. (8)
Songs cited:
1: “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” (License to Ill)
2: “Hey Ladies
3: “Sure Shot
4: “Paul Revere
7. “Professor Booty
8. “Sabotage

RIP, MCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment!